Thursday, September 14, 2023

August Wrap-Up & September TBR

Well, the birthday month is finally over. And I'm 30. Yikes. Right now, not a lot feels different, but I'm sure it will soon. I'm dreading body aches and other health issues that come with age. Lol. But, right now, I'm just doing the same ol' same ol'. That includes reading books and writing random posts about them. Haha. (Note: I wrote some of this at the end of August and some in the second week of September, so forgive any discrepancies.)

In this wrap-up, I’ll list the books I read, the books I reviewed, the books I bought/received, and my TBR for next month. Now, let’s get this bookish party started!

Books Read in August


Silver Under Nightfall: 4.5 stars
Covet: 4 stars
Caught Stealing: 3 stars (KU)
Enchanted to Meet You: 2 stars (NetGalley, my review)
Shiver: 4 stars (KU)
Crossing Acheron: 4.5 stars (KU)
Court: 4 stars
Broken Boundaries: reread (not pictured)
Bro and the Beast 5: 3 stars (KU)

I read nine books in August, which is pretty good considering I felt like I was in a reading slump during two points in the month for very different reasons. The first slump of the month was because I wanted some dark vampire MM romance reads and the second was a post-Red, White, & Royal Blue movie slump. I'm still kind of in that one. Boo. I did manage to read two new favorites and cross two books I owned prior to 2023 off my physical TBR, though. Those were Covet and Court by Tracy Wolff. As for the favorites, those are both in the vampire genre. I read Silver Under Nightfall by Rin Chupeco and Crossing Acheron by H.G. Birde (KU) to fill that itch—an itch that came about after reading a tweet about The Lost Boys '80s film. So random. I also read three other Kindle Unlimited ebooks: Caught Stealing by C.E. Ricci, Shiver by Crea Reitan, and Bro and the Beast 5 by L.C. Davis. Other than those, I finished reading Enchanted to Meet You by Meg Cabot via a NetGalley ARC, and I reread Broken Boundaries by Evangeline Anderson, which isn't pictured here because the cover is a little risque. It was basically a quick reread of a shorter novella-esque book to help get me out of my reading slump.

Books Bought/Received in August


August was bad. I bought a lot of stuff. And a lot of stuff arrived too. I have terrible impulse control. In total, I purchased 18 books in August. I received 13 book that I didn't pay for in August, and I received 20 total books within the month.

The seven books I bought and actually received in August include my Adult FairyLoot book, Forged in Blood; The Midnight Kingdom by Tara Sims from Blackwells; the first three books in the Shadows and Crowns series by S.M. Gaither via PangoBooks; and Silver Under Nightfall the Kindle edition and the Goldsboro edition. I also ordered Captive by Jex Lane, A Restless Truth by Freya Marske, and Red, White, and Royal Blue's movie tie-in ediiton from B&N that didn't arrive until early September. And I have the Russian edition of AKOFAF that should've showed up at my parents' house, but isn't yet in my hands. For preorders, I have the FairyLoot set of the first three books in the Vampire Academy series, Book of Azrael and King of Battle and Blood from LitHaven, Bookish Box's Between Hope and Despair, and Owlcrate's edition of Fall of Ruin and Wrath.


 Now, I also received 12 books, either from preorders or via NetGalley. The two NetGalley ebooks I received include The Fractured Dark by Megan O'Keefe and A Fate Inked in Blood by Danielle L. Jensen. For physical books I received two international editions of FBAA, the Ukraine and Serbian editions; two editions of ASOAAB, the Indigo and B&N editions; four FairyLoot books, The Last Hours trilogy and The Iron Vow by Julie Kagawa; the Bookish Box omnibus of Raven Kennedy's Cupidity series; and the B&N edition of Light Bringer by Pierce Brown.

Currently Obsessed With

Oh man, is there some good stuff to talk about this month! I had a great time with both new and old releases.

I watched one new show in August, and that was the second season of Heartstopper on Netflix. It was fine. Kind of too mushy and ooey gooey with too many of the characters getting together. But, I guess that's a high school drama for you. I'm rewatching bits and pieces of Schitt's Creek too. Yes, I kind of graduated from The Office rewatch. Yay for progress! I also watched Sully, the Tom Hanks film based on the Hudson plane crash, because I kept seeing random bits on TikTok. I ended up renting the movie on Prime just so I could see the whole thing. I also rewatched The Lost Boys with my mom due to the tweet I mentioned earlier. The movie was a lot cornier than I remembered when I watched it back in junior high/high school with one of my friends. I did end up reading a ton of fanfic for it though. Lol. Oh, and I watched The Super Mario Bros movie with my sister on Peacock. It was definitely 100% a kids' movie. As an adult, there were only a couple of scenes I liked and those were all in the beginning of film. And now, for the big one! I watched Prime's adaptation of Red, White, and Royal Blue, and OMG I loved it! I'm obsessed! I hope it gets a sequel. I've been rewatching the movie once every few days, and it's just not enough. I want more!

September TBR


I have a lot going on in September, most of which revolves around packing and going on my international trip. So, I don't want to box myself in too much when it comes to reading. Right now, I'd like to finish up the Crave series, and I need to read Calamity by Constance Fay and The Fractured Dark by Megan E. O'Keefe for review. I'm about 30% through The Fractured Dark as I'm writing this post. I'm also going to try to read The Sun & The Void by Gabriela Romero-Lacruz on the plane ride. But, I never really have luck with reading on planes, so we'll see if that actually happens.

***

Okay, well, that's the month of August, plus some September sneak peeks, all wrapped up into one post. Do you have a wrap-up post for last month? If so, share in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!