Friday, April 24, 2020

My Spring 2020 Book Unhaul: Part One

It’s spring cleaning time! Also, I’m stuck at home right now, so I thought it’d be a good time to go through my shelves and get rid of some books that I just don’t need anymore. I got rid of over 100 books last summer, and it felt fantastic, minus a smidgen of regret for getting rid of a few pretty books, but oh well....

A majority of these are simply books I read when I was younger, and I don’t want them on my shelves any longer. I’m trying to get a certain aesthetic for my shelves, so when I move into my own place, I can easily arrange my books in a way I’ve dreamt of for YEARS. These books don’t fit that aesthetic.

I bought most of these books at yard sales, library sales, etc. for really cheap, and a few of them I picked up during my time working at Macmillan. And just fyi, I’ll be either donating these books or selling them locally, in case anyone is curious.

So, let’s get this unhaul part one underway, and please don’t feel offended if I get rid of a book you like. I simply have too many books to keep them all.


The Black Company, Dinosaur Princess, and Nightflyer: Not interested in reading anymore.

I’ll Give You the Sun, Return to Paradise, Leaving Paradise, The Face on the Milk Carton, What Janie Found, and The Voice on the Radio: I’m really trying to narrow down my contemporary books. I’ll likely never reread these ones, so it’s time to get rid of them.

Frankenstein and Stardust: If I want these books in the future, I’ll get prettier editions.

Full House Stephanie books, Because of Winn Dixie, and Little House in the Big Woods: Just don’t need these books anymore. It’s sad to get rid of them, but I’m older now, and I’m only keeping these for sentimental reasons. I can’t do that for every book or I’ll be a hoarder.

Everworld 11 and 12: I lost the first two books in this series, and I read the rest via library copies. Also, this series will never get a true ending, so it’s time to let it go.



Captive Prince, Prince’s Gambit, and Kings Rising: I want the Australian covers for this trilogy. I don’t like these US ones.

The Dinosaur Knights and The Dinosaur Lords: I thought this concept of medieval dinosaurs sounded cool originally, and I got the books for free when I worked at Macmillan, but I’m never going to read these.

Breaking the Ice, Off the Ice, Troy High, Attachments, Perfect Chemistry, The Distance Between Us, By Your Side, and Rules of Attraction: Again, I’m getting rid of a lot of contemporary books.

Monument 14, Sky on Fire, and Savage Drift: I read the series. It was fun, but I don’t feel the need to keep it.

The Darker Shade of Magic series: I read the first book, and I was majorly disappointed. I don’t understand why this series is so loved. The writing and characters are so dry. I don’t plan on continuing with the series.

The Raging Ones and Dorothy Must Die: Read both. Don’t feel the need to continue with either series. Dorothy Must Die is signed, though, and is from one of the first author events I ever went to, so that's a little sad.

The Silver Kiss: I kept this one because Blood and Chocolate is one of my favorite books ever, but this vampire book just isn’t as good.

The Darkest Star and The Burning Shadow ARCs: I own the finished copies, so I don’t need to keep these.

Ship It: So for this one, I knew it was based off of Supernatural and a completely misconstrued situation that happened during a convention with Jensen Ackles. I was intrigued, even though I loathe Destiel (a popular SPN ship) with my entire being. I still thought this could be fun, but I read some terrible Goodreads reviews. Apparently this book portrays the worst parts of fandom, in terms of fans thinking they own characters and plot points, and how some fans can’t separate their ships from the actual writers’ works. Exactly what I hate about Destiel. So, the book must go.

***

Alright, there’s part one of my spring book unhaul. Part two will come out next week!

Have you gotten rid of any books lately? If so, which ones?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!