Thursday, January 26, 2023

My 10 Most Anticipated Releases by New Authors

There are A LOT of 2023 book releases I'm looking forward to, and my top 10 changes each day based on what genre I'm in the mood to read. Since I noticed a lot of my most anticipated books are sequels, I decided to make three separate posts for my anticipated releases (similar to what I did last year). Today's post is the list of books by authors I've never read before that I'm most looking forward to. I'm sure others will be added once the year goes on and I hear about new stuff coming out, but this is what I have right now. I've already posted my most anticipated sequels as well as my ten most anticipated new releases/series starters by authors I'm familiar with.

For your reading pleasure, here are my ten most anticipated 2023 releases by new-to-me authors. Oh, and unlike my 2023 sequel list, I couldn't think of a list of honorable mentions to add here. I have a few others I could've added, but these are the big ones.

***

Sun of Blood and Ruin by Mariely Lares (September)

This is a Zorro retelling! Do you know how many times I watched Antonio Banderas flipping around swinging one of those thin swords with Catherine Zeta-Jones looking all gorgeous and telling men off? Many, many times. My childhood was filled with them. I even watched the old TV show a bit as a kid when the reruns were on in the early, early mornings. In addition to the Zorro retelling, this story also has magic and mythology! So yeah, I'm all in!

Dragonfall by L.R. Lam (May 2)

Dragons worshiped as gods? Heck yes! A shape-shifting dragon boy? Again, heck yes! My only hesitancy surrounding this book is that the main female character is a thief. For some reason, I'm kind of tired of the thief trope. It's been done. A lot. However, I think I can get over it since there are dragons involved. They'll definitely distract me. Hee hee.

Gwen & Art Are Not In Love by Lex Croucher (November 28)

I'm getting Merlin vibes from this one. I used to love that show, and I definitely think I'll get some of the same feelings when I read this book. It just looks like a fun, quick, cozy fantasy read. A queer King Arthur retelling is exactly what I think I'll need as a palate cleanser between some of those denser fantasy novels. Plus, I already have a NetGalley ARC of this one, so yay!

The Jasad Heir by Sara Hashem (July 18)

The cover for this book is gorgeous! It sounds like it has some secret royalty, magic hunting, hidden magic, and some gladiator-type fights. With a nice dosing of enemies-to-lovers. I'm totally ready for it. Plus, I think this book might be getting a special edition in one of the book boxes. I'm hoping it's FairyLoot. I love it when books I'm anticipating end up being in my subscription boxes.

A Door in the Dark by Scott Reintgen (March 28)

I actually only found out about this book a couple of days ago, or maybe a week or so by now. But it hasn't been very long. And it just kind of snuck up on me when I realized it sounded pretty good. Six teen wizards trapped together sounds like a very entertaining read. And look at that cover! It's beautiful!

Blood & Steel by Helen Scheuerer (2023)

The synopsis for this has me thinking it'll be a fantasy version of Divergent, which I am totally here for. I like me a good Disney-Mulan-and-Shang type of romance where the seasoned warrior falls in love with the new novice soldier. I think the comparisons to The Witcher, FBAA, and The Bridge Kingdom don't hurt either, though it could be a huge letdown if the story can't live up to its comparisons.

The Hurricane Wars by Thea Guanzon (October)

A soldier with light powers and a prince with shadow powers put together in an arranged marriage? I dig it. Honestly, this book sounds a little bit like a Darklina fanfiction, so I hope it doesn't go in that direction. I want something that's going to give me all the angst. I do love magical powers and a good enemies-to-lovers story. I am surprised it doesn't have a cover yet, though. It's releasing in October.

Seven Faceless Saints by M.K. Lobb (February 7)

I've been following this author on Instagram, so I keep seeing aesthetic reels and things for this book that make me extremely hyped about it. FairyLoot also released a reel that has me excited as well. It has an FBAA vibe from what I can tell, with a cinnamon roll love interest and a badass female main character. Love it!

Fourth Wing by Rebecca Yarros (May 2)

Another dragon book! And this one was blurbed by JLA! Actually this is the second dragon rider book I'm looking forward to in 2023. Taran Matharu has one releasing too. That's totally gonna make my 2023 an awesome year! I love dragon-riding stories, from Game of Thrones to How to Train Your Dragon to Eragon, I've pretty much watched or read as many of them as I can. Although, there are quite a few books still left that I should get my hands on.

Bloodguard by Cecy Robson (June 6)

I do not know a lot about this book, to be completely honest. And sadly, Red Tower Books hasn't given a full description, even though it comes out this year. However, I've found myself drawn to this book. The cover reminds me of Red Queen, and the idea that it's a gender-flipped gladiator story has me super intrigued. I've already preordered it, but I think I might also request it on NetGalley as well.

***

Alright, there you have it. My most anticipated 2023 books by new-to-me authors. What 2023 books are you looking forward to? Let me know in the comments section.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!