Thursday, January 5, 2023

My Top 10 Books of 2022

Another year over, which means another barrage of Top 10 lists for January. This list is for my top 10 reads of 2022. I read 90 books in 2022. That's pretty good. I'm hoping to do similar numbers in 2023, but as long as I get over 60, I think I'll be fine.

Enough of the future talk though, let's take a look at the past. In this top 10 you'll notice a theme of fantasy/paranormal books. No contemporary allowed. Haha. I just haven't been vibing with a ton of contemporary titles lately. Oh, and the bottom five in this list aren't really in any particular order. They could be changed based on my mood, whereas the top five are pretty much good where they are.

***

Reign of Darkness by Ariana Nash

I've gone back and forth about what to put in this spot. But, in the end, I just went with a book in a series that I binged really quickly. The relationship dynamics between the two main characters is tension-filled, and the twist is one I definitely didn't see coming. Honestly, at first I didn't like book one, King of the Dark, but leading into book two, it became pretty awesome. I have mixed feelings about book three and the novella, however.


So This is Ever After by F.T. Lukens

Oh man, this one was just a fine time. It was like an upper YA Dungeons & Dragons happily-ever-after tale. I actually wish this book had a prequel and a sequel, just so I could read more about the world and characters.


Broken Fae by Caroline Peckham and Susanne Valenti

The Ruthless Boys of the Zodiac series gave me some serious ups and downs, but I constantly think about this series. Some of the characters are just too awesome! Same with the worldbuilding! But yeah, I love Leon, so I had to put this book on my list.


Spice Road by Maiya Ibrahim

My last read of 2022 ended up being a pretty great one. Spice Road gave me Stardust Thief and The Wrath and the Dawn vibes in a very well-written YA fantasy story. SPOILERS! I can't wait to see what the FairyLoot edition is going to look like!

Glow by Raven Kennedy

The fourth book in the Plated Prisoner series wasn't my favorite. I still reserve that for the second book, but this one did expand the world quite a bit and opened up the possibility for some really cool and crazy events to happen in the last installment!


Legendborn by Tracy Deonn

Legendborn had its slow moments, but the payoff at the end was fantastic. I'm ready to read book two, but I don't want to wait two or more years for book three. So right now, I'm holding off. I'm excited to see where Bree and co. go on this King Arthur journey, though..

The City of Dusk by Tara Sim

I keep thinking about this book and the world. I'm excited to see what type of chaos we get in book two. Plus, it comes out on my birthday! It'll be a fun time. But anyway, this book was pretty much a darker, more contained version of Avatar: The Last Airbender with some necromancy thrown in to shake things up.

Zodiac Academy #4, #5, and #7 by Caroline Peckham and Susanne Valenti

Zodiac Academy is a series I binged in like one week. Which is saying something since each book is 400-1,000 pages long. However, of all eight full-length books, I had three that were my favorite: numbers 4, 5, and 7. Primarily because all the characters got along more and they were all together in these books. I hate when they're apart.

Beautiful Monsters series by Jex Lane

This series snuck up on me. I just randomly downloaded it from KU one day after seeing a few recommendations on Instagram. And boy, was I hooked. It reminds me of Kresley Cole's Immortal After Dark series mixed with the relationship dynamics of C.S. Pacat's Captive Prince. Now, I just have to do the terrible wait for book four. Ugh. I hope there's news soon.


The War of Two Queens by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Did anyone not see this coming? I'm only obsessed with this series. And Kieran Contou. I can't believe I have to wait until 2024 for the official sequel. It's going to hurt so bad. But at least there are some fun extra books and ApollyCon between now and then.

***

Alright, there you have it. My top 10 reads of 2022. What 2022 reads were your favorite? Let me know in the comments section.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!