Tuesday, July 4, 2023

June Wrap-Up & July TBR

Well, the year is officially halfway over, and it's officially summer. Yuck. The heat is disgusting. July, August, January, and February are just the worst. I do not like extreme heat and I do not like extreme cold. Other than the weather, June hasn't been terrible. I've had another major work deadline that's kept me too stressed and busy, but that's over now, thankfully. Now, I'm hoping to get caught up on some reading.

In this wrap-up, I’ll list the books I read, the books I reviewed, the books I bought/received, and my TBR for next month. Now, let’s get this bookish party started!

Books Read in June


The Very Secret Society of Irregular Witches: 3.5 stars (ebook)
The Beauty and the Orcs: 3.5 stars (KU)
The Awakening As Told by the Boys: 3 stars (KU)
Bound by Firelight: 3 stars
Gwen & Art Are Not in Love: 4 stars (NetGalley ARC, review to come)
Soul Eater: 3.5 stars (KU)
Edin: 3.5 stars (KU)
The Rycke: 3 stars (KU)
Lot 62: 3.5 stars (KU)
The Jasad Heir: 4 stars (review to come)
Gloam: 3 stars (KU)

I read 11 books in June, which is pretty good, if I do say so myself. And I even managed to get two physical books off my pre-2023 TBR. Those were book 1.5 in the Zodiac Academy series, The Awakening As Told by the Boys, and Bound by Firelight by Dana Swift. Technically, I read ZA 1.5 as a Kindle Unlimited ebook, but I do actually own a physical copy, so it counts as a physical book when I cross it off my TBR. Haha. I also read one physical ARC that I received from the publisher, Orbit, and it was The Jasad Heir by Sara Hashem. It was definitely my favorite read of the month. The rest of my reads for June were all ebooks. The Very Secret Society of Irregular Witches by Sangu Mandanna was an ebook I borrowed from the library, and Gwen & Art Are Not in Love by Lex Croucher was a NetGalley ARC. My review for it will go live in November, closer to the US release date. Other than those, everything else was read via KU. This included The Beauty and the Orcs by Finley Fenn, the first four books in the Monstrous series by Lily Mayne, and Lot 62 by Nordika Night.

Books Bought/Received in June


I didn't realize I'd accumulated so many books this month. Most of them were preorders or regular orders that just so happened to arrive in June (or very late May, but I didn't pick them up from my parents' house until June, so that's when I count it). In total, I purchased seven books in June, and I received 21 books total within the month.

The books I bought and actually received in June include two physical books and two ebooks. The physical books I bought in the month included the Bookish Box edition of Between Wrath & Mercy by Jess Wisecup and the From Blood and Ash ApollyCon reprint edition, which were both Mercari orders. I also bought two ZA ebooks this month: Beyond the Veil and The Awakening. As for books I ordered in June and haven't received yet, those include the FairyLoot edition of Fourth Wing, the Ukraine edition of FBAA, and the Bookish Box edition of The Spanish Love Deception (which I only got a subscription for so I could make sure I got the FORAW edition they're doing in September, though who knows when the book will actually be delivered with how far behind BB is). In total, I bought seven books in June.

As for what I received in June, it's more than I thought. My preorders arrived for the Chest of Fandoms German edition of The War of Two Queens, the Red Queen LitJoy set,  the five books in the Ruthless Boys of the Zodiac series (Mercari May order), The Frugal Wizard's Handbook for Surviving Medieval England from Brandon Sanderson's Kickstarter, the The Cursed Saints (May Adult FL book), and Cherish by Tracy Wolff (a B&N preorder). I also "bought" some free Kindle books. Those include The Demon Prince by Amanda Aggie, Gravebriar by Casey L. Bond, and Empath's Lure by Jen Lynning. And for review, I received two NetGalley ebooks, Enchanted to Meet You by Meg Cabot and Calamity by Constance Kay. I also got a phyiscal ARC of The Jasad Heir from the publisher. Altogether, that's 20 books received (not paid for) during the month of June. That makes 24 books received total in this month. Wow. It really didn't seem like that many, though I think the Red Queen and Ruthless Boys sets make up most of it.

Currently Obsessed With

I don't think I have very much to talk about this month when it comes to shows. It was mostly just me rewatching The Office. Again.

I guess the only major thing I watched was The Flash, and that was only because my dad wanted to see it. I didn't really want to support that movie at all. Plus, I'm really kind of over superhero films. They're mostly just CGI messes at this point. Oh, I do think I rewatched some Buffy episodes, if that counts. I think I've seen the musical episode at least 50 times by now. Lol.

July TBR


Okay, so first I have to talk about the big one. A Soul of Ash and Blood releases in July, so that will be read numero uno. I've already taken off work for the day to read it. But otherwise, it's another month of repeat TBR books with a few newbs thrown in. First up, the books I need to review. That includes The Pariah by Anthony Ryan, Enchanted to Meet You by Meg Cabot, and Calamity by Constance Fay (NetGalley ARCs). I'm also currently reading Beyond the Veil and the sixth book in the Monstrous series, Seraph as ebooks. And then, I have a couple of others I want to re-read, like Crave, Poison Princess, and Kingdom of the Wicked so I can finish bingeing the rest of the series. And finally, I want to read Dark Shores by Danielle L. Jensen (ebook), The Burning God by R.F. Kuang, The River of Silver by S.A. Chakraborty, and An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir. Will I get to even one of those? Probably not, but I'd like to pretend I'll try. Oh, and on top of all of that, I need to get back into reading A Storm of Swords. I was a little over halfway when I stopped last year, so I need to pick it up again.

***

Okay, well, that's the month of June, plus some July sneak peeks, all wrapped up into one post. Do you have a wrap-up post for last month? If so, share in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!