Tuesday, September 6, 2022

August Wrap-Up & September TBR

August has been a mess. It's been very stressful at work, so I haven't been reading a lot compared to the earlier months of the year. This month, I've mostly been coming straight home from work and vegging out. My brain can't process doing much else. However, I think once mid-September rolls around and all my deadlines are in the past, I'll have an easier time reading.

In this wrap-up, I’ll list the books I read, the books I reviewed, the books I bought/received, and my TBR for next month. Now, let’s get this bookish party started!

Books Read in August

Boyfriend Material: a reread
Husband Material: 3.5 stars
Vampire Academy: a reread
Till Death: 3 stars
A Strange Hymn: 4 stars

I read five books this month. All of which were physical copies. Boyfriend Material by Alexis Hall was a reread in preparation for the sequel, Husband Material. Sadly, Husband Material was a slight disappointment compared to the first book, so I'm crossing my fingers the third installment is better. Then, I reread another book, Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead. This was in preparation for the TV show, which I don't think I'm going to watch, as it doesn't appear to follow the books very well. (Why isn't Dimitri Russian!?!). And, for my birthday week, I decided to read whatever book(s) I wanted to, and for some reason, Jennifer L. Armentrout's Till Death stood out to me. I guess because I wanted something quick. I then read A Strange Hymn by Laura Thalassa out of my Bargainer series omnibus edition. So in total, I reread two books I already owned pre-2022, read two books I bought in 2022 (Husband Material and A Strange Hymn), and read one book I bought in 2021 (Till Death).

Books Bought/Received in August

Another giant haul this month, so I'm going to separate it into two sections again. This time the sections are non-FBAA books and FBAA books. Simple, right? Haha. For the non-FBAA books, I have 17 that I bought/received this month. (Technically 18 if you count August's YA FairyLoot book, but because I'm getting rid of it, I'm not counting it.) One of the books I got this month was a NetGalley review e-copy, Paris Daillencourt is About to Crumble by Alexis Hall. The remaining 16/17 were all physical copies.

What Lies Beyond the Veil by Harper L. Woods, which was July's Adult Bookish Box book, as well as August's YA FairyLoot book, are both copies I received but paid for in the previous month(s). And Husband Material and The King Will Kill You by Sarah Henning were both B&N preorders. Aurora Burning and Aurora's End by Amy Kaufman and Jay Kristoff were from B&N as well, but my parents bought them for me as birthday gifts at the store. Now the other 11 are all from my local used bookstore. I had a dentist appointment, which is near the store, so I got a bunch of Kresley Cole, Rachel Vincent, Nalini Singh, and Yasmine Galenorn books for like $23 total.

And this is random, but I don't think I ever included my ebook copy of Wild Lands by Stacey Marie Brown in a haul/wrap-up. So, I also bought that around June/July.

I had a lot of FBAA books arrive in August. First, my Illumicrate preorder of the three latest installments in the series came in. And these are so beautiful! I love them so much. My preorder of the Bookish Box TWOTQ also arrived. As for the rest, I have two FBAA copies, one TWOTQ, and one ASITE that I bought off of either Depop, eBay, or Mercari for cheap. I'm snatching up cheap copies so I can use them for alternative dustjackets. So, in total, I bought 17 books this month that actually arrived in August, while I technically bought 22 in August overall (this includes preorders that charged but won't arrive for a bit and the late August Adult FairyLoot box). In total, though, I received 26 books with all the titles included, even the FairyLoot YA one.

Currently Obsessed With

I've mostly been rewatching The Office... again. However, like a lot of fantasy lovers, I had to watch a certain prequel show.

House of the Dragon started the day before my birthday (so an early present to me!). I was pleasantly surprised by both the first and second episodes. I still don't think it has the same gravitas and overall presence that GoT has, but I am enjoying the show. I do think it'll be weird when the young actress is switched out for an older actress to portray the time jump, however. I'm not sure how I'll feel about that.

September TBR

There are a lot of repeats on this month's TBR. Oops. Like last month, I have some books that I still need to get to for review/book club purposes. They include rereading Frostbite, Vampire Academy book two, for my book club and reading/reviewing three NetGalley books, Bone Weaver by Aden Polydoros, Monsters Born and Made by Tanvi Berwah, and Paris Daillencourt is About to Crumble by Alexis Hall. I also, once again, need to catch up on reading A Storm of Swords. Then, I want to read A Song of Wraiths and Ruin by Roseanne A. Brown and Nevernight by Jay Kristoff. But those two are just for funsies. I'd also kind of like to get finish off the Bargainer series as well.

***

Okay, well, that's the month of August, plus some September sneak peeks, all wrapped up into one post. Do you have a wrap-up post for last month? If so, share in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!