Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Review: Find Me Their Bones by Sara Wolf

Find Me Their Bones
Publication Date: November 5, 2019
Hardcover, 400 pages, Entangled Teen
Genres: YA, Fantasy

No one can save her. In order to protect Prince Lucien d’Malvane’s heart, Zera had to betray him. Now, he hates the sight of her. Trapped in Cavanos as a prisoner of the king, she awaits the inevitable moment her witch severs their magical connection and finally ends her life. 
 
But fate isn't ready to give her up just yet. 
 
With freedom coming from the most unlikely of sources, Zera is given a second chance at life as a Heartless. But it comes with a terrible price. As the king mobilizes his army to march against the witches, Zera must tame an elusive and deadly valkerax trapped in the tunnels underneath the city if she wants to regain her humanity. 
 
Winning over a bloodthirsty valkerax? Hard. Winning back her friends before war breaks out? A little harder. 
 
But a Heartless winning back Prince Lucien’s heart? 
 
The hardest thing she’s ever done.

My Review

I picked up book two in this series expecting to have a fun time, and fun is totally what I got. More witches, cat creatures, and heartless. Oh my.

Though this second installment was a little slow to start, with no action scenes for awhile, there was a twist that I was very much hoping would come to fruition towards the end that makes me very excited to finally get my hands on the sequel. I also still love the witch spin, though I wish there were more witches throughout the book, just so I could see their powers. (But that's just the witch-lover in me.)

As for the characters, Zera is a little more reserved in Find Me Their Bones, which makes sense after the events that happened in book one. She's hesitant to make waves. I also appreciated how much she wanted to protect her friends from herself. Lucien, the love interest, is still trying to save everyone and doing some not-so-good things to make that happen. And thankfully, the bad guy from book one turned into a more complex and less-stereotypical bad guy in book two that made you wonder what decisions were right and which were wrong.

While I wish this book had a little bit more action, the plot was still interesting. However, a good chunk is just Zera trying to teach something to a mysterious creature. And, though the creature played a part in the ultimate events of this sequel, I feel like the conversations between the two got a little repetitive. Everything else was fairly fast-paced and easy-to-read, and all in all, Find Me Their Bones is a good sequel to a good YA fantasy series. It's simply a lighter fantasy book to devour between larger tomes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!