Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Review: Incubus by Jennifer Quintenz

Incubus
(Daughters of Lilith #2)
Publication Date: June 2013
Paperback, 316 pages, Secret Tree Press
Genres: YA, Paranormal

Braedyn Murphy used to think nothing important ever happened in her sleepy town of Puerto Escondido. But that was before she learned she was a descendent of Lilith, the mother of all demons. Now Braedyn fights to protect humanity from the Lilitu - the beautiful, souls-stealing daughters of Lilith.

As she fights the Lilitu, Braedyn must also fight her growing love for her boyfriend Lucas - because even a simple kiss could end his life. Their only ray of hope is an angel’s offer to make Braedyn human, but it’s an offer she can’t accept until the world is safe from the Lilitu.

Braedyn knows she’s a key player in this ancient war... but she’s not ready to believe she just might be humanity’s best hope of surviving the final battle for Earth.

My Review

Things are gettin’ demon-y up in here. Braedyn and her assorted crew are back and are getting ready to prepare for the big showdown, but there’s a pesky incubus in the way.

This story, much like the first one, contains contemporary issues with a lot of paranormal aspects thrown in. Does that make sense? I’ll explain. Braedyn is trying to survive high school, and a bully, who we’ll get to later, a boyfriend, old and new friends, and a creepy teacher. Then you throw in her Lilitu background and things get crazy up in here.

Braedyn is a physically and mentally strong character who is able to portray her story in a believable manner. I think Braedyn’s a real depiction of a teenager. Even though she’s pretty much a sexy succubus, she still has her insecurities and doubts. And of course there’s the fact that she has to keep her make out sessions with her smoking HAWT boyfriend as short as possible. That brings me to Lucas. I still am in a serious lust relationship with this man-child. I did kind of feel that Lucas needed a tad more development, but his and Braedyn’s relationship was definitely given more room to grow and flourish in this book.

Braedyn’s friends played a large role in the story, for which I was pretty excited about. It did keep the Guard characters in the background a little more than I would I have liked, however. I enjoyed all of the characters’ page-time, nonetheless.

The plot of the story was a tad bit predictable. Once I was about halfway through I knew what was going to happen. Although, Quintenz did manage to have me doubting myself with the minor twists and turns that were thrown in. Especially the thing with Amber. Didn’t expect that at all.

All in all, Incubus is a great sequel with the potential to lead to a pretty epic conclusion. If you want a paranormal read that isn’t about vampires, werewolves, angels and all the other overly popularized monsters, Incubus and its predecessor, Thrall, are the books for you.


*Note: I received a copy of this book to review from the author. This in no way altered my opinion/review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!