Tuesday, September 8, 2026

August Wrap-Up & September TBR

August is over, but it's still 100 degrees out. How rude. I actually did a couple of things last month, which is weird for me. I feel like most of my months have been quiet lately. However, I ended up going to a concert, which I'll talk about in this post. I also bought myself a bookcase, which isn't the most exciting thing ever, but it's fun enough for a boring person like me. Oh, and I got 2027 ApollyCon tickets! Hurrah! 

In this wrap-up, I’ll list the books I read, the books I reviewed, the books I bought/received, and my TBR for next month. Now, let’s get this bookish party started!

Books Read in August

Never Ever After: 3 stars
The Chains of Fate: 4 stars
The Shadows of Stars: 4 stars 
The Bargain of Dragons: 4 stars
Swordheart: 4 stars
Daggerbound: 4 stars (my review)
Broken Souls and Bones: 3.5 stars
Kiss of the Black Flame: 4 stars (review to come)
A Bloom in Winter: 3 stars 
The Second Death of Locke: 3.5 stars
Father Material: 4 stars 

I don't know how I managed it, but I read 11 books in August. I think it's because I binge-read three books in a series and had a couple of books that I had to read for review purposes. Six of the books were from my physical TBR: Never Ever After by Sue Lynn Tan, Broken Souls and Bones by L.J. Andrews, A Bloom in Winter by J.R. Ward, The Second Death of Locke by V.L. Bovalino, Swordheart by T. Kingfisher, and Husband Material by Alexis Hall. Only All of these except Swordheart and Husband Material were pre-2026 purchases. Woohoo! As for the ebooks, I actually had to read Swordheart so I could read the companion book, Daggerbound, because I accidentally requested it on NetGalley without realizing it was a sequel. I was approved for it, so I read it after Swordheart. I also read Kiss of the Black Flame by Helen Scheuerer via NetGalley copy as well. Then, another three books were Kindle Unlimited downloads. Those were the three middle books in Samantha Amstutz's Aelfyn Archives series, which I very much enjoyed.

Books Bought/Received in August

August was another insane haul month. I guess I just went crazy since it's my birthday month. Oops again. In total, I purchased 40 books and received 20 free ebooks/preorders that I'd already paid for in previous months. The dollar amount was sickening. That, combined with my ApollyCon tickets, meant for a very, very expensive month. Overall, I added 37 physical books added to my shelves and 26 physical copies I have to add to my ever-growing TBR.

The 20 books I received mostly consisted of the preordered books that all decided to arrive in August along with some downloaded ebooks. The prior months' preorders that showed up included A Hunger Like No Other Bad Women Books Romantasy sub edition, Fated Throne King's Hollow edition, The Temptation of Magic (Books-a-Million), Warbreaker (B&N), The Winged Game FairyLoot Adult book, the Locked Library Nevernight set, The Ballad of Falling Dragons FairyLoot edition, and the Black Jewels trilogy from Moonlight Book Box. I also had a book I got from my local used bookstore with trade credit: Defiant by Brandon Sanderson. And then, for ebooks, I downloaded Steal the Wind, Forsaken Mate, Bound to the Vampires, Drawn by Dragonblood, Grayson's Mate, Fae Bound, and The Thorns We Inherit all for free on either Kindle or Nook.

 

Now, for what I bought in August. Of the 40 books I bought, 24 arrived in August. Those included a bunch of books from Barnes & Noble: Vow of Eternal Night, Splintered Kingdom, The Lion and the Deathless Dark, A Bargain So BloodyRunebreaker, The Poison Daughter, three replacement Meg Cabot books, and two replacement P.C. and Kristin Cast books. I also had one Pango order, Anathema by Keri Lake, and one Mercari order, Bitten & Bound by Amy Pennza. For FairyLoot books, I received my two monthly sub books, The Witch in the Dead of Night and Steelborn. I also had a Book Outlet order for The Silversmith, Veselless, Immortal Dark, A Cruel Thirst, The High Mountain Court, Hell Bent, For Whom the Bell Tolls, and Dire Bound. And I ordered a UK paperback of Warrior Princess Assassin from Blackwells.

 As for the remaining 17 books, they include preorders that won't arrive until later in the year. The FairyLoot preorders were for Earthbound, The Exquisite Torment of Loving Your Enemy, and the War of Lost Hearts series. Other orders that are coming eventually include Primal of Blood and Bone and Visions of Flesh and Blood Books for Days Crate editions, three FBAA German editions, the Owlcrate edition of Daggermouth, the PR editions of Bonds that Tie books 4-7, The Knave and the Moon, and Tempest.

Currently Obsessed With

Well, the only show I saw besides the season three finale of House of the Dragon was my continued watch of The Middle on Peacock. I also saw Spider-Man: Brand New Day in theaters on the first day of August. It was good. Then, like a week later, I went to a Simple Plan concert. Blink-182 and 3OH!3 were there too. Concerts are not the norm for me. I only go to like one every five years or so, if that. Oh, and when Peacock has been glitching, I've been going back to watching Grey's Anatomy on Netflix. I stopped for a bit because it was getting to be too much, but I'm doing bits at a time now. 

September TBR

This looks so much more manageable than last month's TBR. I really screwed myself over when I requested so many NetGalley books. Right now, I'm behind on two of them: A Viper Among Kings by Sydney Olivia and To Cage a Wild Bird by Brooke Fast. I'm about halfway through The Drakon King by Terry J. Benton-Walker and about 20% through Turncloak by L.K. Steven. Turncloak needs read and reviewed before September 15. I have some time for The Drakon King, thankfully. Other than those books, I'd like to read A Dance of Lies by Brittney Arena because the sequel is on sale soon. I also need to read Daggermouth by H.M. Wolfe for book club.

***

Okay, well, that's the month of August, plus some September sneak peeks, all wrapped up into one post. Do you have a wrap-up post for last month? If so, share in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!