Tuesday, August 4, 2026

July Wrap-Up & August TBR

July was a nice month. I miss it already. I was on vacation, my place was nice and clean, and I could read whenever I wanted. Now, we're back to the same ol' grind. Ugh. Being an adult is the worst. There's not a ton going on in August. I think I might get some furniture, but that's about it for excitement. There are also a few cleaning tasks I haven't completed, so I'll get to those sometime too. Maybe. 

In this wrap-up, I’ll list the books I read, the books I reviewed, the books I bought/received, and my TBR for next month. Now, let’s get this bookish party started!

Books Read in July

Tempting Venom: 3 stars
Kill the Beast: 3 stars
Mistress of Lies: 3.5 stars 
Fake Shot: 3 stars
The Shadows that Listen: 4 stars (review to come)
Starside: 4 stars
Unrelenting Winds: 3.5 stars
The Aspect of Essence: 4 stars
Stolen by Shadows: 3 stars 

Like I said, I was on vacation in July, so I was able to read a lot. I read eight books and one novella in July, which was great. I got seven books off my physical TBR. Most of them were added in 2026, but still, they're read! The physical books included Kill the Beast by Serra Swift, Mistress of Lies by K.M. Enright, Starside by Alex Aster, Unrelenting Winds (the novella) by Melissa K. Roehrich, and The Aspect of Essence by Samantha Amstutz. However, Tempting Venom by Rina Kent is also a book I own a physical copy of. I just downloaded the Kindle Unlimited version so I could read it on release day instead of waiting for my preorder. I also read The Shadows that Listen by Louisa Carmody, which I received as an ARC from Orbit. My review will be posted on release day, August 18. As for the ebooks, I finished Fake Shot by C.E. Ricci and then later in the month read Stolen by Shadows by Elizabeth Helen, both on KU.

Books Bought/Received in July

July was not a low-quantity book month, unfortunately, I piled books high. I did get rid of some, though, so at least I'm making room. In total, I purchased 22 books and received 12 titles for review or from preorders that I'd already paid for in previous months. The dollar amount wasn't as insane as previous months, but it was a lot of books, with 33 physical books added to my shelves and 22 I have to add to my ever-growing TBR.

The 12 books I received mostly consisted of the preordered books that all decided to arrive in July along with a couple of review copies. The Shadows that Listen was the only physical ARC I received, but I did get a NetGalley ARC in July: Kiss of the Black Flame by Helen Scheurer. Orders from previous months that arrived in July included Tempting Venom, The Proposal by Meg Cabot, books 1-2 of the Blood and Ash series Inked Pages editions, The Mortal Trials by Megan Shunmugan Allurial edition, and the FairyLoot editions of Broken Dove, The Tapestry of Fate, and the first two books in The Shards of Magic series. I also got Furysong by Rosaria Munda from my local used bookstore with trade credit.

Now, for what I bought in July. Of the 22 books I bought, 14 arrived in July. Those included a bunch of books from Barnes & Noble: Ravenous by Kresley Cole, Daggermouth by H.M. Wolfe, City of Souls and Sinners by Kayla Edwards, The Exquisite Torment of Loving Your Enemy by Brigette Knightley, and the Spanish edition of A Kingdom of Flesh and Fire. I also got one book in-store: Hopelessly Necromantic by Shiloh Briar. As for non-B&N orders, I have the Kindle edition of The Justice of Kings by Richard Swan, Swordheart by T. Kingfisher from Books-a-Million, Duskbound Waterstones edition by Bree Grenwich and Parker Lennox, What Fury Brings by Tricia Levenseller UK paperback, and the Silk & Steel books 1-3 from eBay. I also got the FairyLoot Romantasy book, The Lure of Whispers and Wolves.

 As for the remaining eight books, they include preorders that didn't arrive in August or won't arrive until even later in the year. The FairyLoot preorders were for Heir of Twisted Lies, The Sea Spinner, Daggermouth, and the Adult FairyLoot book. Other orders that are coming eventually include Born of Blood and Ash Bookish Box edition, The Temptation of Magic, Warbreaker, and the Lilac Library Brimstone edition.

Currently Obsessed With

It's House of the Dragon season. This is the third season in six years, which is crazy to think about. It feels like the first season happened yesterday. I think there are only two episodes left, which means another two-year wait for the fourth, and possibly last, season. Boo. Other than that, I watched the finale of The Vampire Lestat, the last few episodes of Daredevil: Born Again season two, and I'm continuing to watch The Middle

August TBR

My TBR is primarily review copies. I'm so behind right now. I have four review books to read by September 22. Two need read and reviewed by August 25. Yikes. I don't think I'll make it, but I'm going to try to get at least two of the four read and reviewed on time. Three would be great. Those include: A Viper Among Kings by Sydney Olivia, Turncloak by L.K. Steven, Daggerbound by T. Kingfisher, and Kiss of the Black Flame by Helen Scheuerer. I have to read Swordheart before I can read Daggerbound, though, which is my own fault for accidentally requesting a sequel to review when I haven't read book one. I also need to read The Drakon King by Terry J. Benton-Walker for review, but it's due in November, and then To Cage a Wild Bird by Brooke Fast is one I'm like four months behind on. I'm also trying to start Kiss of Iron by Clare Sager, finish the fourth book in The Aelfyn Archives by Samantha Amstutz, and finish This Monster of Mine by Shalini Abeysekara.

***

Okay, well, that's the month of July, plus some August sneak peeks, all wrapped up into one post. Do you have a wrap-up post for last month? If so, share in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!