Tuesday, August 1, 2023

July Wrap-Up & August TBR

July was packed with so much family stuff. Ugh. While it's nice to be around my family every once in a while, there is a point where you just need to be alone for long periods of time. Lol. My older sister visited my parents, so I drove to their place and they drove to mine so we could hang out, eat, etc. I also went with my younger sister and her husband to St. Louis where I got my Billy bookcases (photos to come). There were also two birthdays, my dad's and brother-in-law's, in July. It was a lot of family together time. Hopefully August is a lot calmer.

In this wrap-up, I’ll list the books I read, the books I reviewed, the books I bought/received, and my TBR for next month. Now, let’s get this bookish party started!

Books Read in July


Bro and the Beast 4: 3 stars (KU)
Moth: 3 stars (KU)
Seraph: 3 stars (KU)
Beyond the Veil: 4 stars (ebook)
Per Sanguinem: 3 stars (KU)
Crave: reread
A Soul of Ash and Blood: 4 stars
Crush: 4 stars

I read eight books in July, which is decent. It's not as good as the previous months have been, but I did read a couple of chunkier books, so that, plus my increased family time this month, contributed to the lack of dedicated reading time. I did manage to get one physical book off my pre-2023 TBR, though, which makes me very happy. That was Crush by Tracy Wolff, and I reread Crave as well. Other than those, I read six ebooks, four of which were on Kindle Unlimited. The KU ebooks included Bro and the Beast 4 by L.C. Davis, Moth and Seraph by Lily Mayne, and Per Sanguinem by Ashlyn Drewek. I also read Beyond the Veil by Caroline Peckham and Susanne Valenti and A Soul of Ash and Blood on Kindle.

Books Bought/Received in July


I knew July was going to be a preorder-heavy month, but holy cow did I not realize how much all those preorders would add up. In total, I purchased 18 books in July. I received one book that I didn't pay for in July, and I received 15 total books within the month.

The 14 books I bought and actually received in July include the Kindle edition, regular hardcover, and Barnes & Noble edition of A Soul of Ash & Blood. I also ordered Ashes & the Star-Cursed King by Carissa Broadbent, The Struggle and the Spanish edition of A Light in the Flame by Jennifer L. Armentrout, Slaying the Shadow Prince by Helen Scheuerer, and Star Bringer by Tracy Wolff and Nina Croft all from B&N. I also bought a secondhand hardcover copy of A Kingdom of Flesh and Fire (not pictured) for my Dusty Shop dustjackets. And, technically, I also purchased a copy of Six Scorched Roses by Carissa Broadbent from Amazon, but I used Kindle gift card refund money to do it. My preorder of The Jasad Heir by Sara Hashem also arrived along with my order of Boyfriend Material and Husband Material from Illumicrate/Afterlight. Oh, and my Adult FairyLoot July box came in, but I sold the book, so it's technically gone now.

 Now, I also bought some books I haven't yet received, either because they were preorders or because they were shipped to my parents' house and I haven't picked them up yet. The one preorder I paid for this month was for the Chest of Fandoms edition of A Light in the Flame. The three books at my parents' house include the Indigo and an extra B&N edition of ASOAAB, along with Light Bringer by Pierce Brown.

As for what I received in July, I just got the Brandon Sanderson Kickstarter book for the third quarter. It's called Yumi and the Nightmare Painter.

Currently Obsessed With

Not a ton to mention this month in terms of shows. I think there's just the one new addition. Other than that, it was mostly just me rewatching The Office some more.

I watched season three of The Witcher over the course of July. I think I watched the first three episodes relatively early in the month, and then I binge-watched the rest of it this past Friday. I'm definitely sad Henry Cavill is leaving after this season, but I think I'll give Liam Hemsworth a try as Geralt, just because I do love fantasy shows in general and there are so few good ones out there. I want to support the ones that I can, and I also do like the main actresses. I'm worried with the diminishing interest in this season and future seasons, with Cavill leaving, there won't even be a season four. Ugh. But other than that, I watched Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny in theaters with my dad and sister. It was pretty good, but, like most movies nowadays, the CGI replaced the practical effects that made Indiana Jones so enjoyable.

August TBR


I have too many things on my TBR for how much I need to get done this month to prep for my trip to Iceland at the end of September. I need to stop requesting books to review on NetGalley. It rarely ever works in my favor in terms of time and enjoyment factor. That being said, first up are the books I need to review. That includes The Pariah by Anthony Ryan, Enchanted to Meet You by Meg Cabot, and Calamity by Constance Fay (NetGalley ARCs). I'm also currently reading Covet by Tracy Wolff, the third book in the Crave series and Chain of Gold by Cassandra Clare as a Libby ebook. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll finish it on Libby before it leaves. But my FairyLoot edition is going to reach me soon, so I can read that copy. I'd also like to read Serpent and the Wings of Night by Carissa Broadbent and reread Kingdom of the Wicked so I can binge the rest of the series. On top of all of that, I need to continue reading George R.R. Martin's A Storm of Swords.

***

Okay, well, that's the month of July, plus some August sneak peeks, all wrapped up into one post. Do you have a wrap-up post for last month? If so, share in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!