Thursday, June 2, 2022

May Wrap-Up & June TBR

May was a pretty good month. Nothing major happened life or work-wise, which is always great. I like the quiet life. However, I did spend waaaay too much money on books and other things in May. That was not fun. You'll see the damage in the next few paragraphs.

In this wrap-up, I’ll list the books I read, the books I reviewed, the books I bought/received, and my TBR for next month. Now, let’s get this bookish party started!

Books Read in May

Broken Fae: 3.5 stars (ebook)
Warrior Fae: 3 stars (ebook)
Night: 4 stars (ebook, novella)

A Strange and Stubborn Endurance: 3 stars (NetGalley ARC, review to come)
Defy the Night: 3.5 stars
Rhapsodic: 3.5 stars (ebook)
A Promise of Fire: 4 stars
Breath of Fire: 3.5 stars
An Enchantment of Ravens: 3 stars
Heart on Fire: 3 stars

I read nine books in May as well as one novella. The novella was Night by Caroline Peckham and Susanne Valenti, part of the Ruthless Boys of the Zodiac series. Speaking of Ruthless Boys, four of the books I read were Kindle books. I finished up the Ruthless Boys series and read Broken Fae and Warrior Fae via Kindle Unlimited, and I also read a NetGalley copy of A Strange and Stubborn Endurance by Foz Meadows and Rhapsodic by Laura Thalassa. 

 I was surprised that of the nine books I read, four were physical copies. I read Defy the Night by Brigid Kemmerer, An Enchantment of Ravens by Margaret Rogerson, and the Kingmaker trilogy by Amanda Bouchet. An Enchantment of Ravens is a book I just picked up on a whim for something short and sweet to read, but the others were part of my ApollyCon/Book Club TBR. The first book in the Kingmaker series, A Promise of Fire, is one I owned prior to 2022, but I ended up buying a copy of the new paperback covers to match the sequels I purchased. I also had to read the third book via a library copy since my edition wouldn't get to me until June. That altogether means I only read four books I owned prior to 2022: Defy the Night, An Enchantment of Ravens, Rhapsodic (a purchased ebook), and A Promise of Fire.

Books Bought/Received in May

Oh lord, where do I begin with this mess. I bought so much in May. It's insane. So in total, I received 18 books in May. Fourteen were physical copies and four were ebooks. Three of the ebooks were free copies, so yay! No money spent there. They're Frey and Between Ink and Shadows by Melissa Wright and the Night novella. The other ebook was Hopelessly Bromantic by Lauren Blakely. It was only $2.99. As for the physical books, four were from my local used bookstore (Witchling, A Hunger Like No Other, Shadow's Seduction, and Succubus Blues), four were Amazon orders (A Promise of Fire, Breath of Fire, Oblivion, and Savage Lands), two were B&N preorders (TWOTQ and A Cruel and Fated Light), and four were FairyLoot orders. Of the FairyLoot orders that arrived, three of the books (Blood Scion, The City of Dusk, and Arrow to the Moon) were from April's boxes, so they don't count towards this month's ungodly spending amount. The FairyLoot book that I did buy and receive in May was the adult book of the month, Book of Night.

 So, in total, I bought 22 books in May, not counting my free ebook downloads. That is nuts. Most of them were preorders for special editions, like Illumicrate and Bookish Box's FBAA sequel editions, Dark & Quirky's Ruthless Boys editions, and Bookish Box's June Adult sub book. But, overall, I bought/preordered one ebook and 21 physical books in May. Yikes.

Currently Obsessed With

I'm still chugging my way through Modern Family on Hulu. I'm on season 11. I thought there were only 10, so that's a bit of a bummer. However, it's still a fairly easy show to just flip on while I'm eating lunch or something. Kind of like The Office or Friends, though I can't see myself rewatching it like those shows, sadly.

But, the best show I watched was Stranger Things season four part one. While I'm iffy on some storylines, I do like the main gang's arc the most. The group all together is what makes the show fun, in my opinion. I'm excited to see what part two brings in July. I also watched the first couple of episodes of Obi-Wan Kenobi on Disney+ with my parents while I was at their place for Memorial Day weekend, and the episodes were good. Nothing amazing or terrible happened so far, so I'm okay with it. Oh, and I watched Dr. Strange and the Multiverse of Madness at the theater with my dad. And surprisingly, I really liked it. I think it's my favorite MCU film since Infinity War. (I loathe Endgame, just FYI.)

June TBR

More repeats on this TBR. I'm still behind on reading stuff for ApollyCon and I have a NetGalley review book to finish, A Taste of Gold and Iron. What I have pictured are mostly just titles that I would like to get to, but they aren't a priority like the ebooks I'm going to list. However, Savage Lands is an ApollyCon book I do need to get to. For the physical books pictured, I would like to read An Ember in the Ashes, Daughter of the Moon Goddess, The Prison Healer, and The Dragon Republic, but I just don't think I'll have the time. As far as non-review ApollyCon ebooks go, I need to read my library Libby copy of King of Battle and Blood by Scarlett St. Clair, With Shield and Ink and Bone by Casey L. Bond, Broken Bonds by J. Bree, and Audrey Grey's Kingdom of Runes saga. I also need to finish The Maid and the Orcs, which is what I'm currently reading. I think I can make it through most of the ApollyCon titles. It's the others I'm not so sure of.

***

Okay, well, that's the month of May, plus some June sneak peeks, all wrapped up into one post. Do you have a wrap-up post for last month? If so, share in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!