Saturday, November 27, 2021

Stacking the Shelves: The Glossy vs. Matte Edition


"Stacking the Shelves" is a weekly haul meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews and Reading Reality. It allows book buyers to share their accumulation of books with the online book-loving community.

I don't have a giant pileup of items to show you this round! I'm so proud of myself for getting this done before I had too many photos to share. Though, I do have to admit, I've still gone a little overboard and overestimated my ability to read things quickly.

First up, I've got two library books and an Amazon purchase. The library books are Aurora's End by Kristoff and Kaufman and A Marvellous Light by Freya Marske. I'm excited to read both of these, but they're due back to the library on December 9, so I need to read quickly. This is why I don't like borrowing new releases from the library. There just isn't enough time to get to them. The Amazon purchase, Gild, I've already read, as it's the November book club read. We may or may not end up also reading books two and three in the series, which means even more I need to read in a short period of time.

We can't let a week go by without any FBAA items in the haul, can we? So, here's my shame pile. Barnes & Noble was having a 20% sale for orders over $60, so I decided to go ahead and treat myself to the original hardcovers. I kept putting off buying them because I wasn't sure if I wanted to get custom sprayed edges. Alas, I am cheap, so I decided to nix that idea. However, as many of you probably know, there's a current paper shortage affecting the publishing chain. So the AKOFAF copy I originally received came with a glossy cover, not the matte version it's supposed to. I had to take the glossy version to my local B&N and trade it for a matte one. I was super happy they even had a version in stock. I was worried I'd have to locate a secondhand copy online somewhere. Now, I'm just hoping I don't have to repeat the process when my FBAA copy arrives. For some reason, it was shipped separately.

Next, I have a free ebook I downloaded on Kindle. Nightfall by L.H. Cosway. I have no idea what this one is about. It just a had a pretty cover, and someone on Instagram shared that it was free. So yeah. I'm a simple creature.

And last, we have If the Fates Allow by Rainbow Rowell, a companion novella to Fangirl, one of my favorite books of all time. I don't know much about this other than it follows Cath's now-older college roommate. I would've liked to have reread Fangirl before diving into this, but I think Kindle has this one on some sort of borrow period for Prime members, if you want to read it for free that is. I could just buy it for like $2, but I'd rather not until I know if I like it. Like I said earlier, I'm cheap.

Well, that's the end of this Stacking the Shelves. I have quite a few more things on the way, some of which might already be here by the time this post goes up. My November FairyLoot, FBAA hardcover, some character prints and pins, and maybe even the second and third installments in the Plated Prisoner series. We shall see...

What books have you bought/received lately?

2 comments:

  1. Oh nice! Yeah, I was one who was waiting for coupons before I bought the hardcovers of FBAA series. I was noticing the shiny covers too recently and somehow missed the announcement about it being due to a paper shortage. Glad you were able to get 2/3 of the right one and a replacement for the second. Fingers crossed that the first one works out well too!

    Hope you enjoy all of your new reads! Also, I noticed you wrote Spooner's name instead of Kaufman's. Not sure if you wanted to correct it or not. I know it drives me bonkers when I catch things like that after I posted. Just wanted to let you know. ;)

    Happy Reading!!!


    My StS will be up tomorrow, so stop by then if you can!

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I do that all the time with Spooner, Kaufman, and Kristoff. They keep confusing me with their duo dynamics. XD

      Delete

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!