Saturday, August 19, 2023

Stacking the Shelves: The International Edition

 "Stacking the Shelves" is a weekly haul meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews and Reading Reality. It allows book buyers to share their accumulation of books with the online book-loving community.

Another week of work. That's about all that happened. I've been really lazy the past seven days. I've only gone to the gym a couple of times, and I've spent a lot of time on TikTok. I'll try to get back in the swing of things starting this weekend. I think I just needed some chill time to relax my brain last week.


As for books, first up are two international editions of From Blood and Ash. The one on the left is the Ukraine edition, which came with the pretty double-sided Poppy/Hawke bookmark, and the one on the right is the Serbian edition. Both of these books had major issues getting to me. They were lost for weeks. The Serbian copy even got returned to Serbia and then had to be resent to me. Blugh. But they're here now. I'm not looking forward to ordering the sequels, though.

And here is an impulse PangoBooks order. I had a notification set on Pango for anyone selling the original covers of S.M. Gaither's Shadows and Crowns series. I haven't read this series yet, but I hate the new covers, so I went on the lookout for the originals. They were nowhere to be found. But about a week and a half ago, someone listed the first three! I jumped on them. Unfortunately, books two and three have some pretty icky damage that I didn't see in the photos. The spine is cracked on book two and the cover is bent on book three. The seller had a note in their listing, but it was brief and I didn't see it until after. So I think this, plus my experience purchasing the Ruthless Boys of the Zodiac set, has made me jaded against used booksellers. I'm going to try to only buy secondhand for special editions now. Or things that aren't available anymore.


Next, I have a copy of my favorite read of 2023 so far! I read Silver Under Nightfall as an ebook earlier this month, as I was really into vampires at the time. Still am, actually. It's a weird craving for summer. I just want to read vampire books all day, every day! But anyway, I loved Silver Under Nightfall so much that I had to buy a physical copy, but I was hesitant in case a book box company like Illumicrate decided to do a special edition set of it and the sequel next year. And since the US cover is meh and the regular UK one is eh, I couldn't really decide which version I wanted to buy anyway. BUT, someone was selling the Goldsboro version with red sprayed edges for cheap, so I bought it off Mercari. XD


 As for ebooks, I only have one this week. I requested a NetGalley e-ARC of A Fate Inked in Blood by Danielle L. Jensen, and, less than an hour later, I was approved! It was weird. So much was happening the day I was approved for this: JLA announced the fourth book in the Flesh & Fire series (which I have mixed feelings about since all I really want is more Poppy books but I still love the world in general) and FairyLoot announced a bunch of stuff too. My booklover heart is a little overwhelmed with everything lately. And so is my wallet. However, I'm excited to read this ARC, and I'm especially grateful since I am not a fan of the cover. I'll be able to decide once I finish the ARC if I should order a physical copy because of all the limited foiling that's supposed to be happening in the first editions or if I can just wait to see if book boxes do prettier editions.

Well, that's all for me. What books have you bought/received lately?

1 comment:

  1. Oh nice! I am loving your international editions of FBAA! Those are stunning! International shipping is SO stressful! I am STILL dealing with one book box company on sending me a book I ordered over a year ago! They seem like they are getting their act together but I still don't have a tracking number from them. I think they keep forgetting that I asked for it. I am not sure if they have new management or just new CS management or what. I am holding on tight to a prayer that this book makes it to me this time. I was told because of Covid reasons it was sent back to them! :(

    Hope you enjoy all of your new reads! I am curious about this vampire book you loved so much! I've always loved vampires and always look for new books to read featuring them. I've several in my TBR pile, so perhaps I don't need to add too many more! Lol!


    My StS will be up tomorrow, so stop by then if you can!

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!