Tuesday, August 9, 2022

July Wrap-Up & August TBR

July was a busy month. I had my first traveling vacation since pre-pandemic days while simultaneously hectically navigating a fairly large book convention. It was fun, but it was pure chaos. Now, I'm just trying to relax and recoup, which is easier said than done since I have family stuff throughout August, including my own birthday. I also have to prepare for a California trip in September. It's going to be crazy.

In this wrap-up, I’ll list the books I read, the books I reviewed, the books I bought/received, and my TBR for next month. Now, let’s get this bookish party started!

Books Read in July

The Blood Traitor: 4 stars
A Little Bit Country: 4 stars
The Dragon Republic: 3 stars
Violet Made of Thorns: 4 stars

I only read four books this month. Like I said, it's been busy and somewhat stressful. Two of the books I read were library copies, The Blood Traitor by Lynette Noni and A Little Bit Country by Brian D. Kennedy. The third book was The Dragon Republic by R.F. Kuang, and the last one was Violet Made of Thorns by Gina Chen. None of these books were ones I owned prior to 2022. So failure there, but The Dragon Republic was a pretty big book to cross off my TBR.

Books Bought/Received in July

Lots of books in this monthly haul, so I'm separating it into two groups: non-ApollyCon books and ApollyCon books. For the non-ApollyCon books, I have eight that I bought/received this month.

The Prince's Poisoned Vow (June's Adult Bookish Box book) and The Darkening (July's YA FairyLoot book) are both books I received but paid for in the previous month(s). And Realm Breaker was a trade. I traded my friend the FairyLoot edition for the regular US one, as I like the font on the US one more. So, in total for this section, I bought five books in July that I received in July. Violet Made of Thorns was the July Owlcrate book and The Undertaking of Hart and Mercy was the July Adult FairyLoot book. I also bought Spinning Silver at Books-A-Million in Kansas City, Broken Bonds via Amazon, and Nightchaser at my local used bookstore. I think that's all I bought for the non-ApollyCon titles. All the books I preordered in July are still in the "charges pending" stage, so I think this is it for the expenses, thankfully.

I got a total of 11 books at ApollyCon. I technically paid for seven of them. Kind of. I preordered The Bargainer series omnibus and Capture the Crown before the event, and I paid for both in June, not July. I got Perfect Assumption, Kingdom of Exiles, Blood Laws, and A Shadow in the Ember with my Titan ticket bag. I also bought the FBAA ApollyCon edition at the end of the event. The books I picked up for free include an ARC of Wicked Beauty, The Last Wolf, a Bookish Box edition of A Deal with an Elf King, and a 1,001 Dark Nights novella called Ride Dirty.

Currently Obsessed With

I've still been mostly rewatching The Office now that I have Peacock. But I have started a new show that is pretty decent, and I also have some upcoming fantasy shows that I'm fairly excited for for the rest of the year. But right now, there's just one.

Fate: The Winx Saga is the sole new show I've been watching throughout the month. I think I'm about halfway through the first season. It's been a slow binge, since life has been kind of crazy lately. I also finished Stranger Things Vol. 2 at the beginning of July. I did go to the theater to see Thor: Love & Thunder with my dad. It was very disappointing.

August TBR

I have four books I have to read, or at least start reading, in August: Vampire Academy 1 and 2 for my book club and two NetGalley books, Bone Weaver by Aden Polydoros and Monsters Born and Made by Tanvi Berwah. I also need to catch up on reading A Storm of Swords, as I'm super far behind and the end of the year is in sight. Then, I need to reread Boyfriend Material (which I technically finished a few days ago) and then read Husband Material, which just released. Other than that, I want to read A Song of Wraiths and Ruin by Roseanne A. Brown and Nevernight by Jay Kristoff. Those last two may not happen, but it would be cool if I could get to them.

***

Okay, well, that's the month of July, plus some August sneak peeks, all wrapped up into one post. Do you have a wrap-up post for last month? If so, share in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!