Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Review: The Fountain of the Earth by H.L. LeRoy

The Fountain of the Earth
Publication Date: November 2013
Paperback, 272 pages, Tranquille Press
Genres: YA, Dystopian

Terra Vonn is fighting to survive in a destroyed world,
surrounded by unspeakable horror . . .
and things are about to get much worse.

After witnessing the horrific murder of her mother, fifteen-year-old Terra Vonn has a singular focus—exacting revenge on the killers. But before she can complete her plan, savagery intervenes, and she is cast alone into a brutal post-apocalyptic world. As she trails the murderers south—through a land filled with cannibalistic criminals, slave traders, and lunatics—the hunter becomes the hunted. Terra quickly learns that she is not as tough or as brave as she thought she was. Worse, she may be the only one who stands between what little remains of civilization and destruction.

My Review

This book is girl power at its core. The Fountain of the Earth provides readers with an action-packed deliverance of justice in less than 300 pages.

I knew this book was going to be good going in. Why? Well, one, because I’d read the synopsis, and it sounded brutal, thrilling, and right up my alley all at the same time. And two, because of its super amazing cover art. Seriously, any book with a cover that cool has to have some sweet stuff located between its cover.

It starts out in a village run entirely by men, and Terra’s expected to be sold into marriage to one of them. And of course, since this is a YA book, Terra’s not going to let that happen. Let me tell you, this character has a lot of determination in her. She doesn’t let all of the threats and stupid people stop her from being self-sufficient. It was fantastic.

Later on in the story, things get a little repetitive, but still good. There’s a lot of information on how Terra’s journey is going, and how well she’s hunting. To me, some of those scenes could have been cut back a little bit. There could have also been a wee bit more detail throughout the book. It was still completely enjoyable, though. If I hadn’t have had class, I would have flown through this thing in a day. Stupid tech writing classes. Always ruining my fun.

The plot of the book was very action-packed. It also wasn’t a clear cut path. I had no idea what was going to happen to Terra and when. However, sometimes some things that happened to her and her friends were a little too convenient. But man, did she manage to seriously kick some booty.

The other characters in the book were just as enjoyable as Terra. Excluding the bad guys. Those idiots just needed to have happen what happened to them at the end of this book. Becca made me want to cry, but she stayed strong. Beth was like an Amazon warrior princess. And the boys of the story were all like, “Heck yes, that’s my woman saving my butt.” And I loved it.

All in all, The Fountain of the Earth is a solidly good read. It’s quick, fun and has some majorly kick-ass female characters. If you’re looking for a new Katniss or Tris, Terra might just be the girl for you. 


*Note: I received a copy of this book to review from the publisher. This in no way altered my opinion/review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!