Saturday, February 19, 2011

Review: Delirium by Lauren Oliver


Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Release Date: February 1, 2011
Publisher: HarperTeen
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 441/hardcover
Source: Bought


Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.

Review:

The idea of this book fascinates me. What is a world without any love? I don't think it can exist and Oliver definitely shows us that it doesn't.

I really like that there are no love triangles in this book because having that to deal with plus a new dystopian world would have hurt my head a little. Consequently, there were portions of the book that were just pages upon pages of Lena's feelings and thoughts, there was no action in these sections at all! If those pages had been cut down then the plotline would have been amazing.

The ending for me is what makes this book. The big cliffhanger is here with all of the risks and obstacles and I LOVED it! I was biting my tongue to keep from screaming at Lena and Alex to hurry it up!

This paragraph contains spoilers.
One thing I didn't like was a certain scene in the book where Alex did something irredeemable. He was pretty scrumptious up until then. He just left Lena! While they were running he left her to be captured!!! GRR!!! But like I said, the ending helped me get over that, slightly.

So if you're a fan of dystopian novels or forbidden love then I suggest scooping this book up. I'm sure the beautiful cover won't hurt your eyes to look at either.


*All reviews are my opinion.

1 comment:

  1. This does sound pretty good. I remember reading the blurb for this when it first came out and I was interested but not sold on the premise but for some reason I find it more interesting now! Glad you enjoyed! I might have to give this one a shot and bonus points for no love triangle!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!