Wednesday, November 2, 2022

October Wrap-Up & November TBR

October wasn't nearly as chaotic as September, thankfully. But it still wasn't the best month ever. I'm just kind of behind on everything lately. I am excited that I've gotten back into reading, though. Now, I just need to read more books that I actually own and not ones that are on Kindle Unlimited.

In this wrap-up, I’ll list the books I read, the books I reviewed, the books I bought/received, and my TBR for next month. Now, let’s get this bookish party started!

Books Read in October


Frostbite: reread
The Emperor of Evening Stars: 4 stars
Prince and Assassin: 3.5 stars (KU ebook)
Prince in Disguise: 4 stars (KU ebook)
King of the Dark: 4 stars (KU ebook)
Reign of Darkness: 4 stars (KU ebook)
Curse of the Dark Prince: 3 stars (KU ebook)
The Cottage: 3 stars (KU ebook)

I read six books and two novellas in October, which is a lot better than last month and the month before. I think I may be getting my reading groove back. Woohoo! Only two of the books/novellas were physical copies, Frostbite by Richelle Mead and The Emperor of Evening Stars by Laura Thalassa, the novella set in Laura Thalassa's Bargainer world. Frostbite was a reread for my book club and to prep for the TV show, which I've decided I don't think I'll ever actually watch. It looks so bad compared to the books. Now, as for the rest of the books, five in total, they were all Kindle Unlimited reads. This includes Prince and Assassin and Prince in Disguise by Tavia Lark and King of the Dark, Reign of Darkness, and Curse of the Dark Prince by Ariana Nash. I also had to purchase the novella that's set in the same world as Ariana Nash's Prince's Assassin series on Kindle. It's called The Cottage. So counting everything, I read eight books/novellas. None of which I owned prior to 2022 (not counting Frostbite, since it's a reread). But, I think it was good for me to get back into reading by just bingeing some fun books vs. trying to force myself to read stuff on my shelves. Even though I know there's some good books stacked there; they just weren't what I was in the mood for.

Books Bought/Received in October


I didn't buy a ton of books in October, but a lot of preorders did come in, some of which only charged this month. So... I guess I did buy a lot. In October, I bought 11 books, two were ebooks and nine were physical books. The Kingdom of the Wicked boxset and the Red, White, and Royal Blue collector's edition were both preordered from Barnes & Noble, which means I was charged in October. Same for A Curse of Queens, which I preordered from Amazon. Amazon.fr (French), charged me for FBAA in October too. I also have my October YA FairyLoot book that I was charged for in October. As for ebooks, I bought The Cottage novella as well as Hell Hath No Fury, an anthology featuring a story from the authors of the Zodiac Academy series. Oh, and I preordered the FairyLoot Crescent City editions that won't arrive until next year.

Now, I do have some preorders that arrived that I paid for in earlier months. Those include FairyLoot's edition of The Blood Traitor and their September Adult Book, Spells for Forgetting. Also, I ordered a copy of The Power on eBay that turned out to be an ARC and not a finished copy. I contacted the seller and they gave me my money back. I still have the ARC, so I need to figure out what I'm going to do with it. My replacement edition of Illumicrate's TWOTQ and my five-months late LitJoy Twin Crowns copy also arrived. In total, I received 14 books this month. But I did buy 11 books in October overall, some just won't arrive for a while.

Currently Obsessed With

Well, I finished my rewatch of The Office, so I decided to rewatch Parks & Rec next. I've watched it a couple of times already, but it's been a couple years since the last rewatch. But I actually have been watching a lot of new TV shows and movies, which is very exciting for someone who barely watches anything new anymore.


Well, first off, I'm going to start with the bad. I could not finish Hocus Pocus 2. I got halfway through and gave up. It was awful. I'll just pretend it doesn't exist. However, season one of House of the Dragon ended in October, and I found that to be awesome! I have a few minor issues with the season overall, but nothing that detracts from my anticipation of season two. Unfortunately, it's gonna be a looooong wait. As for new shows, I binge-watched The Legend of Vox Machina early on in the month. This was a fun adult cartoon based on Critical Role, which I barely know anything about. I think it's a podcast group that plays D&D...? Anyway, season two comes out in January, so that's exciting. I also went and watched Black Adam with my parents. It was fun. Nothing new, but it was a decent addition to the DC superhero lineup. Sadly, DC's League of Super Pets, also starring Dwayne Johnson, was not good. At all. It was a terrible film, even for kids. Yikes. It was another one I watched with my parents, but on HBO Max instead of in theaters. And before those two, I watched The School for Good and Evil on Netflix with my mom. It was good. Could've been better.

November TBR


More repeats in November's TBR. Oops for the umpteenth time. I'm just not good at TBRs this year. For book club purposes, I need to read Amanda Bouchet's A Curse of Queens. I also still need to read my NetGalley ARC of Monsters Born and Made by Tanvi Berwah, which I actually needed to review back in September. Shame on me! I also need to reread A Shadow in the Ember, so I remember what happened when I read A Light in the Flame when it releases later this month. Oh, and I have some library books to read. They include Lightlark, Ledge, and You're a Mean One, Matthew Prince. I would like to finish The Bargainer series as well. I'm currently reading the last book in my giant omnibus. And, I want to reread Kingdom of the Wicked so I can read the other two books in the trilogy. I am also continuing, and failing at, my year-long read of A Storm of Swords.

***

Okay, well, that's the month of October, plus some November sneak peeks, all wrapped up into one post. Do you have a wrap-up post for last month? If so, share in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!