Friday, July 17, 2020

Review: The Forbidden Wish by Jessica Khoury

The Forbidden Wish
Publication Date: February 23, 2016
Hardcover, 352 pages, Razorbill
Genres: YA, Fantasy

She is the most powerful Jinni of all. He is a boy from the streets. Their love will shake the world...

When Aladdin discovers Zahra's jinni lamp, Zahra is thrust back into a world she hasn't seen in hundreds of years—a world where magic is forbidden and Zahra's very existence is illegal. She must disguise herself to stay alive, using ancient shape-shifting magic, until her new master has selected his three wishes.

But when the King of the Jinn offers Zahra a chance to be free of her lamp forever, she seizes the opportunity—only to discover she is falling in love with Aladdin. When saving herself means betraying him, Zahra must decide once and for all: is winning her freedom worth losing her heart?

As time unravels and her enemies close in, Zahra finds herself suspended between danger and desire in this dazzling retelling of Aladdin from acclaimed author Jessica Khoury.

My Review

Jinn are such fascinating creatures. I love stories about them because you never know what they’ll do, you just know that whatever they’ll do will be epic and destructive and super fun to read about.

Jessica Khoury introduces a spin on the Aladdin and the Magic Lamp folktale: the genie is female. It’s a fantastic concept, and the world-building Khoury put into the story is fantastic. I actually wish we could get a spinoff for a certain jinn prince or a certain princess OR a certain jilted cousin. It would be cool to see their stories unfold in a full-length novel.

As for the main characters, Zahra was strong and intriguing. Her history is long and difficult, and it made me want to unlock her secrets. Now Aladdin, he’s definitely similar to the Disney adaptation—minus Abu. He’s a charming thief, but he has a bloody past and his actions are quite a bit darker. Caspida, the princess, and her band of friends were a great addition to the story. I rooted for them throughout. But the villain could’ve used some more page time just to be fully fleshed out and not-so stereotypical.

The story overall progressed really well. I don’t think there was a single plot point I disliked until I got closer to the end of the novel. During the last few chapters, it seemed like things were a tad rushed and it could be a little difficult to follow. Plus, Aladdin kind of ended up as a background character during all the climactic scenes. That was a little disappointing. Still, it was a solid four-star read.

All in all, if you love desert fantasies like The Wrath and the Dawn or The City of Brass, pick this one up for a quick, fun spin on jinn lore. And obviously, any Disney Aladdin lover will also find this re-imagination a worthwhile read.


*Note: I purchased a copy of this book myself. This in no way affected my opinion/review.

2 comments:

  1. OOh nice! I still need to read this one. It's been sitting on my TBR since its release, eek 4 years now! Though...I know I've had some on the pile for 10 years! GASP!!

    Glad to hear that this one was still good! I heard that way back when but you know, 4 years later and I still need to read it! Lol. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun! If you need a light fantasy, it's a good one to choose! XD

      Delete

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!