Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Review: Crimson Frost by Jennifer Estep


 For a moment, a face flashed before my eyes—the most hideous face I’d ever seen. No matter how hard I tried to forget what had happened, I saw him everywhere I went. It was Loki—the evil god that I’d helped set free against my will.

I should have known that my first official date with Logan Quinn was destined to end in disaster. If we’d gotten into a swordfight, or been ambushed by Reapers, I’d have been more prepared. But getting arrested mid-sip at the local coffee hangout? I didn’t see that one coming.

I’ve been accused of purposely helping the Reapers free Loki from his prison—and the person leading the charge against me is Linus Quinn, Logan’s dad. The worst part is that pretty much everyone at Mythos Academy thinks I’m guilty. If I’m going to get out of this mess alive, I’ll have to do it myself…

My Review:

This series combines so many levels of awesomeness that it's unbelievable! There's descendents of Spartans, Valkyries, Gypsies and Celts! It's just so cool and I'm in love with the idea behind the books; that there's an academy out there teaching these teenagers how to kick butt.

So, this is book #4 in the series. The first book was soooo good, the second was okay, and the third was alright. I was totally scared going into this one that it would just be a repeat of #2 and #3. And for the first fourth of the book it kind of was. BUT, it got a lot better!

In the previous installments I had complained about Logan's lack of presence. Estep said that he could kill someone with a Twizzler, yet I never really saw him pulling some Chuck Norris-ish moves. In fact, he was barely in the books, despite being Gwen's love interest. In this book, I'm glad to say, we get more bada**ness from my dear, dear Logan. Gwen, I feel was a little too much of a pushover in the beginning and middle of the book. She just needed to stand up for herself a little more. 

The plot of the book was really good after getting over that first schlump. Things move along fairly quickly. And in the last half of the book, until things were explained, I totally had no idea what was about to happen. Thus, I was very excited about the ending.

Some minor things that I didn't enjoy included how un-butt-kicking the other students were in the book. Gwen's supposed to be a fighter, but she often says that others are a lot better at it than her, so I couldn't understand why the Valkyries, Celts, etc. were fleeing the scene. Oh, and a certain fight scene dragged on a little too long for what I picture Gwen's skill level being from her description.

All in all it was definitely better than the previous two books in the series. It's totally my second favorite of them all. Now excuse me, I need to go pick up Midnight Frost.


 *Note: I received a copy of this book to review from Netgalley. This in no way altered my opinion/review.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!