Saturday, May 28, 2011

Spellbound Review



What's a girl to do when meeting The One means she's cursed to die a horrible death?


Life hasn't been easy on sixteen-year-old Emma Conner, so a new start in New York may be just the change she needs. But the posh Upper East Side prep school she has to attend? Not so much. Friendly faces are few and far between, except for one that she's irresistibly drawn to—Brendan Salinger, the guy with the rock-star good looks and the richest kid in school, who might just be her very own white knight.


But even when Brendan inexplicably turns cold, Emma can't stop staring. Ever since she laid eyes on him, strange things have been happening. Streetlamps go out wherever she walks, and Emma's been having the oddest dreams: visions of herself in past lives—visions that warn her to stay away from Brendan. Or else.


Release Date: June 28th 2011


My Review:


I started this book hoping that it would be a cute, light read. I was dead wrong.


The beginning of the story starts off with the main character Emma and her first day at her new school. I almost stopped reading right there. Meeting the sexy guy on the first day of school thing has been way overdone, but it's even worse in this book because of the writing style. Emma sounds like a junior high student, not a highschool girl. And typically I like my main character to be deep and somewhat mature, but I didn't see any of that with her. Then there's Brenden, the love interest, he honestly was a good character. Not a great one. He could have had a little more depth to him as well, but due to the mysterious vibe, I get why there wasn't that much about him mentioned. However, I really don't see what would attract him to Emma, she is an awful character.


The plotline was overused. Girl goes to new school after something bad happens in her past, she meets cute boy, and they fall in love after they find out that they share a secret. Basically it was a retelling of Evermore by Alyson Noel, without the cool powers.


I was very disappointed with this book. It took way too long to read, despite it's average length, due to it's dumbed-down writing style. I really hate to hate-on this book, but I just didn't enjoy it.


2/5 stars


*I received a copy of this book via Netgalley. This in no way altered my opinion/review.

2 comments:

  1. That bad huh? And I thought Evermore could have been three books instead of six. Still waiting for that final thing to be resolved and if doesn't get resolved in this one, I'll never read her books again! I think I'll cancel my order for this and order Solstice instead. THAT looks good!
    Thanks for that completely honest review.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! Hope that my opinion wasn't totally different from what yours might have been.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!