Sunday, March 27, 2011

Starcrossed Review



How do you defy destiny?

Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is—no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're destined to play the leading roles in a tragedy the Fates insist on repeating throughout history.


As Helen unlocks the secrets of her ancestry, she realizes that some myths are more than just legend. But even demigod powers might not be enough to defy the forces that are both drawing her and Lucas together—and trying to tear them apart.


Release Date: May 31, 2011


My Review:


Starcrossed starts out phenomenally! The usual boy meets girl, girl falls in love with boy, has no part here. I was so shocked with the beginning that I just had to keep reading, there was no other option.


Once the beginning part was over however, the book kind of falls into that YA Paranormal Romance schlump. I was disappointed, but it was still really good.


The main character, Helen, reminds me of all teenage girls. She's awkward, shy and insecure. What teenage girl isn't at least one of those things? You really feel for her and her impossible situation.


Lucas is an aloof character, which made him extremely sexy in my eyes. You never knew what he was going to do, or why he was going to do it. And let me just say, that a lot of the scenes with Lucas in them are so cute and lovey-dovey that I felt like squealing with delight! The other characters also were highly likable and very funny.


One thing I didn't like about this book was that it was written in third person. I'm just not that big a fan of it. Also, the book made a surprise couple of switches between character narrations that left me a tad confused because the story had been following Helen for so long and just BAM! went to a different character.


This book is a definite must-buy!


4/5 stars


*I received this book to review via Netgalley. This in no way altered my opinion/review.

5 comments:

  1. Great review! I want to read this one but the POV switch might make me crazy :) I hate when authors do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review I had no idea it was in third person even though i'm not too big of a fan of POV switches i'll still give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm... I am not a fan of 3rd person either but I might have to give this one a shot. Anything that includes paranormal and aloof sexy boys is fine by me! Great review :)
    -Katelyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nantuckett is just a short ferry ride away from me and I can't wait to read this book! Anything with mythology, bring it on! Glad you recommend even with it's flaws! Love your review!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds enjoyable enough, and I do like the mythology connection.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!