Sunday, September 26, 2010

Review- The Replacement



The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff

Though he lives in the small town of Gentry, Mackie comes from a world of tunnels and black murky water, a world of living dead girls ruled by a little tattooed princess. He is a Replacement—left in the crib of a human baby sixteen years ago. Now, because of fatal allergies to iron, blood, and consecrated ground, Mackie is slowly dying in the human world.
Mackie would give anything to live among us, to practice on his bass or spend time with an oddly intriguing girl named Tate. But when Tate’s baby sister goes missing, Mackie is drawn irrevocably into the underworld of Gentry, known as Mayhem. He must face the dark creatures of the Slag Heaps and find his rightful place, in our world, or theirs.


Description taken from Brenna's site.


______________________________________
This book captivated me with its creatures that were so ugly they were beautiful. In the beginning there are so many questions, What is Mackie Doyle?, Why is the town the way it is? and Brenna keeps that suspense throughout the book even after some of the questions have been answered.

Her creatures creeped me out. Her world made me shudder. And her plot made me unable to stop.

Mackie Doyle starts out as an intriguing character. His odd behavior made you think that there was something severly wrong with this boy, and there was. His love interest, Tate, scared me almost as much as the beings underground. She's tough, smart, and not afraid to kick some butt in order to get some answers.

The only things that I didn't like about this book were the amount of sick times that Mackie has (you'll see what I mean when you read it), Mackie's inability to stand up for himself irked me but not enough to really make the book any less enjoyable, and Roswell (Mackie's best friend) and Mackie's relationship is a little weird, but that may just be because I'm a girl and I don't see many guys actually behave that way. Who knows, maybe boys really act like that?

Someone somewhere said that this book would make a perfect Tim Burton movie, and I agree with them wholeheartedly.

4/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!