Saturday, September 4, 2010

Review: Almost to Die For by Tate Hallaway


Almost to Die For (A Vampire Princess of St. Paul Novel) by Tate Hallaway


Amazon blurb: Twilight meets The Princess Diaries in the new series from the author of Honeymoon of the Dead

On her sixteenth birthday, Anastasija Parker learns that her so-called deadbeat dad is actually a vampire king. And he wants Ana to assume her rightful position at his side, in spite of the fact that she has witch's blood running through her veins-from her mother's side. Too bad witches and vampires are mortal enemies. And now Ana's parents are at each other's throats over her future. It's up to Ana to make a choice, but deciding your eternal destiny is a pretty big deal for a girl who just wants to get through high school.

My Review:

I don't do reviews often, basically because I hate offending people if I didn't like their book, but I've decided to step out of my box and actually review something for a change.

The most important fact about Almost to Die For is that it's short! Only 256 pages! For some reason when I thought of this book I always thought of a 330-page, hardback book, however when I received it in the mail, after winning it from a blog competition, I found out the hard way. But I immediately started to read it.

The book starts off with a hilarious bully scene which surprised me greatly considering the bully isn't the typical mean-girl of the school, but the popular boy, that upped this books points immediately. The witches vs. vampires problem that Ana goes through is quite interesting, especially when one species runs around without a scrap of clothing. At some points the no-clothing thing does get a little creepy, but it's nothing to overreact about.

The plot is a twister and the ending was very surprising, especially with Elias, Ana's vampire bodyguard who is by far my favorite of her potential lovers.

Some things I did NOT like about this book was the relationship that Ana has with her father which seems too fast for someone who has just met their dad. Also, Nikolai, Ana's witch almost-boyfriend, is way too strange-rock-and-roller for my tastes.

All in all, I'd give this book:


2 comments:

  1. Great review!! I've been wanting to check this one out! thank you for stopping by my blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, thanks for stopping by mine!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!