Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Review: Beautiful Darkness by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles #2) by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl


Ethan Wate used to think of Gatlin, the small Southern town he had always called home, as a place where nothing ever changed. Then he met mysterious newcomer Lena Duchannes, who revealed a secret world that had been hidden in plain sight all along. A Gatlin that harbored ancient secrets beneath its moss-covered oaks and cracked sidewalks. A Gatlin where a curse has marked Lena's family of powerful Supernaturals for generations. A Gatlin where impossible, magical, life-altering events happen.Sometimes life-ending.Together they can face anything Gatlin throws at them, but after suffering a tragic loss, Lena starts to pull away, keeping secrets that test their relationship. And now that Ethan's eyes have been opened to the darker side of Gatlin, there's no going back. Haunted by strange visions only he can see, Ethan is pulled deeper into his town's tangled history and finds himself caught up in the dangerous network of underground passageways endlessly crisscrossing the South, where nothing is as it seems.
_________________________________________________

I know that I've gone on endlessly about this October 12th book release and it's probably getting really tiring for all of you who haven't read the original book Beautiful Creatures because once you've read the first you will completely understand my die-hard fandom.

So here's my review of Beautiful Darkness and you won't hear any more about this book until it's release date (I have not sworn to this, so be prepared for disappointment):

Be Warned SPOILERS May Lie Here

The second installment of the Caster Chronicles series will captivate you from the first line. There's a roller coaster of unsuspecting romances, mysteries and betrayal that all come unraveling around the small area of Gatlin County, keeping Ethan Wate from mending the gap that's been growing stronger between him and Lena Duchannes- a Caster with major mojo. Her guilt will haunt you while Ethan's story will make you fall for the poor mortal boy all over again.

And fall I did. Ethan's poor plight had me in tears for almost half of the book. I couldn't help but think, "Why? Why must this happen to such a wonderful couple?" But I know that Kami and Margaret had beautiful reasons.

The plot constantly caught me by surprise and I loved the book so much for that because lately there has been too much repetition in paranormal novels. The introduction of two other love interests (for whom I will not say) is painful but welcome and kept me screaming "MORE! I need more!" which made me powerless when it came to putting the book down. I had to finish it and I did so in less than 12 hours, a major feat if you ask me.

So all-in-all, the secret Caster world and it's twisting ways are addicting and the ending will have you begging on your hands and knees, ready to become Kami and Margaret's slaves, for the next installment in this life-altering series.


*Be sure to pick up Beautiful Darkness in stores October 12th, and if you haven't read Beautiful Creatures grab that as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!