Monday, January 26, 2015

Review: Wicked by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Wicked
(A Wicked Saga #1)
Publication Date: December 2014
Paperback, 371 pages
Genres: NA, Paranormal

Things are about to get Wicked in New Orleans.

Twenty-two year old Ivy Morgan isn’t your average college student. She, and others like her, know humans aren’t the only thing trolling the French Quarter for fun… and for food. Her duty to the Order is her life. After all, four years ago, she lost everything at the hands of the creatures she’d sworn to hunt, tearing her world and her heart apart.

Ren Owens is the last person Ivy expected to enter her rigidly controlled life. He’s six feet and three inches of temptation and swoon-inducing charm. With forest-green eyes and a smile that’s surely left a stream of broken hearts in its wake, he has an uncanny, almost unnatural ability to make her yearn for everything he has to offer. But letting him in is as dangerous as hunting the cold-blooded killers stalking the streets. Losing the boy she loved once before had nearly destroyed her, but the sparking tension that grows between them becomes impossible for Ivy to deny. Deep down, she wants… she needs more than what her duty demands of her, what her past has shaped for her.

But as Ivy grows closer to Ren, she realizes she’s not the only one carrying secrets that could shatter the frail bond between them. There’s something he’s not telling her, and one thing is for certain. She’s no longer sure what is more dangerous to her—the ancient beings threatening to take over the town or the man demanding to lay claim to her heart and her soul.

My Review

New Adult! Jennifer L. Armentrout! Paranormal! Hot guy! Faeries! JLA! Hot guy! Yep. I read it. And I reeeeeeeeally enjoyed it. Almost loved. Less than a millimeter away from epic love feelings. And who knows, I may totally change my mind and feel epic love feelings later. Like, I’m writing this review less than a week after I’ve read the book, and originally I was going to give it 4 stars. Now that I’m thinking about it, I’m giving it 4.5. Because I’m cool like that.

I love JLA’s paranormal books. I think that’s obvious. White Hot Kiss, Obsidian, and Half-Blood are some of my faves. So when I heard that this book was only $1.99 on Kindle, I pressed that Buy with 1-click option immediately and started reading it on my phone. And I did not regret it.

JLA has created another wonderful paranormal world. I’m not even a huge fan of fairies. I’ve read Melissa Marr’s Wicked Lovely books (okay, only the first three, but I’m working on it) and Julie Kagawa’s Iron Fey series, but fairies were never some of my favorite paranormal creatures (they go in the same category as ghosts, vampires, and psychic powers in that regard). But JLA didn’t make the fairies the main characters, she made them the bad guys. That helped A LOT!

The plot of the book was solid. I feel like it could have been better, considering WHK and Half-Blood were such wild rides. I just wanted a little more. And unfortunately, the ending was a tad bit predictable. I enjoyed it, but I knew it was coming.

Now for the characters. Ren is a babe. I’m pretty sure those are the only types of boys JLA knows how to write. And this time, JLA gave one of her boys a motorcycle! The drool was flying everywhere ladies and gentlemen. But Ren isn’t just a hot guy; instead he’s a boy with a sad background (with alive parents! Yay! Living parents for the win!) and a job (Yay! Employed characters!). Ivy is also a good character. I love every single mention of her hair. It cracked me up and made me extremely grateful for my own hair—and trust me, that doesn’t usually happen.

All in all, I can’t wait to read book #2, Torn. Sadly, it’s just another JLA book that I have to wait a torturously long amount of time to get my hands on.


*Note: I purchased a copy of this book for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!