Friday, November 1, 2013

Unbreakable Review


I never believed in ghosts. Until one tried to kill me.

When Kennedy Waters finds her mother dead, her world begins to unravel. She doesn’t know that paranormal forces in a much darker world are the ones pulling the strings. Not until identical twins Jared and Lukas Lockhart break into Kennedy’s room and destroy a dangerous spirit sent to kill her. The brothers reveal that her mother was part of an ancient secret society responsible for protecting the world from a vengeful demon — a society whose five members were all murdered on the same night.

Now Kennedy has to take her mother’s place in the Legion if she wants to uncover the truth and stay alive. Along with new Legion members Priest and Alara, the teens race to find the only weapon that might be able to destroy the demon — battling the deadly spirits he controls every step of the way.

Suspense, romance, and the paranormal meet in this chilling urban fantasy, the first book in a new series from Kami Garcia, bestselling coauthor of the Beautiful Creatures novels.

My Review:

Holy guacamole! So I loved this book! I think I read it in less than four hours. I just picked it up and couldn't stop. At all. In fact, the only thing I didn't, and don't, like about this book is it's creepy/ugly cover. 

This entire book reminded me of the show Supernatural, only with smexy, teenage twins! I'm not sure where Kami's foundation information on ghost and demon hunting came from, if it was from the show, or other sources, but I loved it nonetheless. The whole story is action-packed and full of scary scenes. That's part of the reason I'm writing this review right now, actually. I read the book at night, now I'm too frightened to sleep. I seriously need a teddy bear right about now. But I scare easily...

The characters were fantastic! Kennedy is just an average girl, with a few quirks thrown in. I like that. Every once in a while I get tired of all of the Katniss's and Tris's kicking butt like they're their own Avengers team. I want someone that I can relate to. And I cannot relate to a girl who shoots apples out of pig's mouths. Just FYI. The three leading men in this story are so amazing! Jared, the central love interest, was haunted and hawt, while his brother, Lukas, was a friendly, lovable guy. And Priest, oh Priest. He was so funny and cute and just everything you would want in a kind of little-brother-who-makes-weird-inventions way. Alara was complicated, and I hope we get to see more of her character development in the next book, because I don't know what to think of her yet...

All in all, I need book two. This book seriously exceeded my expectations and basically shoved its greatness into my face. So thank you, Kami, for writing a story that I won't forget, and for keeping me up for the rest of the night. ;)

5/5 stars

 *Note: I purchased a copy of this book. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your comments! And I do read all of them so keep at it! Thanks for visiting!